Saturday, January 31

Pungent Thoughts

Something artsy to check out, a promo for House Of Saddam on BBC. 

It has gotten colder here, meaning it is actually feeling like winter! It is 30°F now (at 18:30), 21°F in Cincinnati, and 16°F in Napoleon, so needless to say, I have been spoiled and I am due to wear gloves for once.

Friday evening was deemed a "girly cheesy night." I had asked my roommate earlier in the week if we could just sit down and try a bunch of cheeses together, so I could learn a little and experience the taste of the Alps, and she thought it was a great idea! So she bought some cheeses and special breads from the market. When she was talking to the "cheese man," she told him about me being an American wanting to get a feel for the cheese here in Switzerland. He was so happy about my interest that he gave her a free wurst to match the cheese flavors. Paired with some Italian Prosecco and red wine from Portugal, Melody, Chris, and I had quite an evening. I was surprised that I liked the more pungent cheese. I asked about the Swiss cheese holes, and Chris explained that they are created when the cheese "sweats." There are even salt deposits in the holes from the sweating! We also had Melody creations of a sort of carmelized onion appetizer, and balsamic ice cream. I am so glad I live around people who can really cook—my omelettes are put to shame, for sure! We had some pretty deep discussion, about the purpose of music and performance; "Must there be a gap between the band and the audience?" We also dove into the weighty question of, "What is love?" These questions pretty much consumed the entire six hours, and could've lasted years. I am confused more lately. But I am constantly reminding myself of how blessed I am to have this opportunity to be living and breathing Basel.

Got up early this morning to go to Rheinfelden for breakfast with a girl from my Bible study, and the family she is working with as an au pair. Rheinfelden is a small town about 10 minutes outside of Basel. It was great to be around kids again, and to soak up their energy, but realize I am not ready for that responsibility. Maia and I went for a walk about the old town, by the wellness spa, and to Germany.  :)  Don't be too impressed, because it is literally right on the border! 

I am off to see the Lindenhof gang at the Hawaiian party. I will leave you with some photos of the day's excursion. 



No comments: