Monday, January 26

"I Love The Unexpected."

Famous Last Words: I love the unexpected. 

Friday was fun, because I got to refine my concepts at work, and we had some pretty good conversation in the office. After work, I left and decided to read some of my book at Mitte, a café between the 'platzes that I frequent during lunch and after hours. I started getting tired and wanted to just go home and relax, maybe watch W, a movie I have been putting off for awhile now. I had a nice stroll home with A Fine Frenzy, took time to peer in the store windows and just enjoy the evening. Got groceries, and then went to my building to find out I didn't have my keys. Most likely hanging sprightly on the window hook by my desk. I tell you, my purse literally upchucked all over the entryway; there were clementines a'rolling, books and journals, gum and pens and tram ticket confetti. I thought if I just clear out all the debris, maybe there was just some secret compartment at the bottom where they would be, exclaiming, "Haha, I am just your stupid keys, playing stupid key games." Finally, kneeling amongst groceries and purse vomit, the hallway light went out. I just sat there. My roommate is in Zürich until Tuesday. My co-worker is already home for the weekend. My neighbor who has the spare key isn't home. Am I homeless?

Did some calling, found out that my neighbor would be home in a few hours. And who knew, I didn't have the cell numbers of my co-worker or boss. So, I thought, I guess I might as well just go back to the city and hang around. I read again, totally preoccupied and absorbing only a fraction of the plot. I decided to go back to Mitte, just to make sure I didn't leave them there accidentally. Nope. Saw a Swisscom telephone booth and thought, hey, phonebook? So, being Switzerland and all, there was no phone book, but an electronic look-up service (must we eliminate all elements of print from our lives? I don't think I will ever trade my "old-fashioned" planner for a palm pilot. I won't buy an Amazon Kindle over a worn-scribbled in real copy. Let us cherish the Form of the Book!). I was completely confused, and fed up, so just turned around to get out, but I was trapped inside the clear box. Finally, when I discovered how to get out, I realized that Mohammed, that I had met earlier this week, was there and saw the whole embarrassing episode. I was at a loss for words, English or Deutsch, so I mumbled, shrugged, and just walked away.

Went home when I got a text from my neighbor, saying I could come over and we could wait for the owner to give us the master key. He made dinner fit for royalty, tagliatelle with salmon in a cream sauce. We chatted about a lot of various stuff, like my portfolio, music, and even drying out whale vomit to make perfume! We watched Once, had a coffee, and still didn't get in contact with the owner. So. I was staying there for the night. He made up a spare bed, gave me a toothbrush, totally just made me a place in his home. It is so humbling to have to be dependent; when you have no place to go, when you know you are a burden, that is humbling.

Didn't sleep, mostly because my phone had died right before I went to bed and I didn't have an alarm. I was paranoid that I wouldn't wake up in time to catch the train to Liestal, to have breakfast with Lisa and Rachel. But I made it, and I was able to spend time with these women. It was great getting to know Rachel better. It turns out that she went to school with two of my old roommates! The world gets smaller and smaller everyday. 

We went to the Liestal library, and I found this architectural wonder:


It's an old wooden beam structure, with modern chartreuse flooring, bookcases, elevators, everything! It actually wasn't overwhelming, it was very fresh and peaceful. There was even a café downstairs, and there's a balcony deck for summer reading. I borrowed some violin music, and made a mental note to return to this place as soon as possible.

Got a text midday Saturday from my neighbor, telling me that he got the extra key after climbing through a lot of red tape with the management. It felt so good to be home. I got cleaned up, relaxed a little, and then headed back to Liestal with Mike for Lana's concert. It was so awesome... a full string orchestra playing in a church, a total time warp. I love it when I listen to classical music, because it prepares my mind to get lost in another world. I never know what to say when people ask me about the music afterwards... because yes, I do hear the music, but I remember more from my stories. The conductor was humorous... his motions were so drastic and vigorous, I thought he was going to fall over sometimes! I don't think I have ever seen a professional conductor not in coattails. They have to wear coattails.

Side note: Just got my laundry out of the dryer, and the clothes were literally steaming. They looked like in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, when they show Charlie's mom over the wash basin, and there was all that humid steam everywhere (that is all I can think to compare it to). A lot of people don't like the song, "Cheer Up, Charlie" that she sings in that scene, but I do.

On Sunday, I finished The Catcher in the Rye, and spent some time at the old flat. We spent the majority of the time discussing "fun day" plans and drinking macchiatos. We are going to Melchsee-Frutt in a few weeks to go sledding, which will be a blast, and hopefully planning a trip to Dublin. We will see what time and money allows... Got to see some hilarious YouTubes of Eddie Izzard comedy, with Legos. Definitely worth your time to look it up. I recommend the Supermarket, Darth Vader, and the Petrol Station. I remember seeing Eddie Izzard was coming to Cincinnati this past fall; now I am sad I missed it.

Church on Sunday was nice. I really enjoy singing praise songs in Swiss-German; in those times, I feel very connected to Basel and God. Next week, ICF is having a passion sunday. We are doing all worship, and recording the session. I am thrilled, to say the least, especially because then I will be able to take some of the songs back with me. I made a new friend this week. He spent some time in British Columbia a few years back, to learn English and work on a farm. He and our small group got to have drinks afterwards.

Today I was reunited with my keys, and it was my first violin lesson. I was extremely scared and intimidated, mainly because I hadn't really practiced since Christmas break. I was a little rusty, to say the least, and it was completely disorienting not having the homemade tape frets to help me cheat. But I am excited, humbled but excited. 

Ah, alas, it is late and I am tired. I hope things are going well in your life! 
Take care—Linds

1 comment: