Tuesday, January 13

Lausanne and Geneva

I can't believe how busy I have been since my return! I cannot tell you how many times I have sat at the computer, opened up a new post at 12:30am, and take "naps," which almost always end up in failure. I am tempted by the siren song of sleep... which I guess I should give into when it gets late. Anyways... I love to write to you. I see this blog as one run-on pen pal letter, to the world and to no one simultaneously. It's kind of fun, actually, not knowing. 

Using the washer and dryer for the first time tonight. They pretty much sound like they are going to take off. They are inconspicuously tucked into a little closet, which contains most of the sound, but they still intimidate me. I have been learning a lot of washing vocabulary, trying to decipher it in effort to not have to buy a whole new wardrobe tomorrow, and possibly get out of having to wear a dress, since that is all I have left clean. When it's cold, that is true motivation!

January is half-over, but also still "half full." I have enjoyed the time I have gotten to spend with Kailee here. She has gotten to experience my Napoleon, Cincinnati, and Basel lives, which is pretty unique. She will be missed by many.

Friday night we went for drinks at acQua, a restaurant and bar lounge down by a small brook near the train station. It feels like a grotto, with cream lit candles dripping down the rocky walls. The chandeliers are posh, dotted with red ornaments, and banquettes dotted with "Q" pillows. In the entryway, there's even water that runs down the slate walls. It was chic, but not too intimidating, so needless to say, I wouldn't mind going back! Afterwards, we treated ourselves to Nutella crepes at a casual place near Barfüsserplatz. She has redefined in me a chocolate addiction.

Saturday morning we left on the train towards Lausanne. It was great to be able to get into an exploring spirit again. Sometimes I like being a tourist, having my camera in hand and just enjoying being looked at with rolled eyes. We started by exploring the docks at the lake, in an area called Ouchy, and then went to the Olympic Museum.

When I was in München this summer, I got the chance to see the identity for the 1972 Olympic Park that Probst got to work on with Otl Aicher. And now, again, I got to see more of their work! From matchbooks to letters, to an entire room devoted to the poster design, I cannot explain how cool it is to see these pieces. And out comes the geeky designer in me... We also got to see all of the Olympic torches, and some medals and memorabilia. I saw Shannon Miller's leotard, and was thrilled. As I said when I was there, "That literally just made my afternoon."

Walking through Lausanne, it was great to have opened eyes again. I think it is because I have been thinking too much in Basel. Today, when I got a chance to stroll along the river, and see the sun reflect upon the water, I got that warm feeling inside, when you think God is telling you a secret. "Linds, this is beauty." Anyways, in Lausanne, I saw this sign and got a kick out of it. I think one of the best perks about being in Europe is being able to discuss world issues more, and hear new opinions.

That evening we travelled to Geneva. Sadly, we couldn't see any mountains because of the overcast fog, but we did get to the hostel, and had a decent fondue in a somewhat sketch place. The hostel was very nice, very comfortable, especially for the luxury of having our own room! On Sunday morning, we got up and got a coffee (no Starbucks, a stiff real coffee, Euro-style), and a clementine. I am addicted to those as well, now. I have a feeling it is just a phase, but who knows. Unfortunately, the Jet d'Eau was off because it is too cold, but we did get to walk along the lake, and to the United Nations. It was cool to see some of the buildings and roads along the way dedicated to Woodrow Wilson. I was thinking, yea, I know he established the League of Nations, but AP American History knowledge has certainly been pushed to the outskirts of my brain to make way for InDesign and Quark shortcuts. We went into the old town, after some french onion soup at a quaint french café. All of the shops are closed, a typical Swiss sunday, so we got explore a bit. And look what I stumbled upon...

I was thrilled. I thought I would really like to see the Geneva "jewel headquarters" and I found it!

The train ride back was more rewarding than the way there. I made a pact with my body that I would not sleep. We got to see chimneys hiccuping smoke, snow-laden trees, and a gorgeous sunset. Switzerland is practically fake in the winter. It is all a storybook. I am always imagining an old man in tortoiseshell glasses, sitting by the fire in his tufted leather armchair. Seriously, I think of Masterpiece Theatre and Playmobils, the plastic fire and the cat curled up on the felt cushion. Here's a junky picture, but is a good reminder of the beauty.
Last night we made a big meal at the flat, and then headed to Eiopso to hang out with the Lindenhof gang. It was awesome to laugh with them again, and to get to know Anne a bit. I can't wait to spend more time with these people. And tonight we spent time with my coworker over a cheese fondue. I am so thankful for the friends that I have here, and the opportunities to share these friendships.

Getting tired. Still haven't caught up, but I will do so soon!

2 comments:

chih-hua said...

i love youuuuuu

Brooke said...

Just so you know we are soulmates because I have eaten a clementine a day for the past two weeks. haha