Thursday, January 15

"Go the Distance"


Listening to the Field of Dreams score by James Horner; for some reason, it just feels fitting.

I missed America today. It was a strong longing. So strong, that I found myself reaching out to Starbucks, drinking subpar coffee and thinking too intently to get comfortable. I was given the evil sneer because I was American; I can be understanding of this in general because I know my German isn't so great, but in Starbucks, that just isn't fair.

The photos are from my walk along the river yesterday. The sun was really just stunning. Today, it snowed, and my favorite little passageway was a complete ice trap. My boss told me that out of Switzerland, Basel is the most efficient in snow removal, that we won a ratings contest among the other major cities. The reason we won is because we have a more mild climate, and get this, we have an overabundance of salt (this is ironic because Napoleon is currently in a salt shortage).

Went to Lisa and Chris' house for dinner tonight, along with Darryl. It was great to get together. I had my first taste of lychee champagne, and I loved it. Had never even heard of such a thing until Switzerland. Discussed a few possible plans to go on a ski run in the next few months, which is exciting. I know my klutz persona will surface, but the experience will be worth it, I'm positive. I, of course, also had another faux pas trying to explain the musical 13. I described it initially as the "horrors of middle school on stage" and they thought I said "whores of middle school on stage." I don't know how I always manage to get myself into these pickles... but they always end in a good hearty laugh. We had some great discussion about ICF as well (my church here in Basel): its mission, its current direction, and how the act of going church functions in our personal walks with God and interactions with the Swiss community. I have been challenged to see what I am bringing to the church, and not necessarily looking to it to fill every aspect of my spiritual needs. It seems so obvious, but I finally see how the common thread, no matter where I am, needs to be God; it is so easy to have "sand" completely fill up my life, or run in a direction that I think is for God, without even really following Him. 

Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments: