Saturday, June 21

socc-cr-cr-cr-crazy

I am here. This is the first official blog post in Switzerland!

Yesterday was officially the longest day of my life, with all of the flight time lapses, but that didn't stop me from going out last night to watch the Turkey/Croatia game on the huge screen in the city center, with my roommates Roger and Katie. The city was crazy last night, after Turkey won in penalty kicks (no one wanted them to win, because they have just barely won many of their games, and have a boastful spirit about it). I heard them cheering and honking literally all night. The city is beautiful—very clean, modern and old world charm.The advertisements on bus stops are absolutely gorgeous, with roots of Swiss design gleaming through each piece; I hope their chocolate is as pure as their design. No home-printed posters about pyramid schemes, either. 

Roger took me for a tour of the city a little yesterday, which was awesome. We stopped by my design firm; it is in an old building, and feels like a total time warp. I checked their website yesterday, and saw that they updated it, and now I am even more excited to start working there! It's www.edge-group.ch. I am not at all oriented with the city yet. I went for a short run this morning, and I know the neighboring streets, but nothing extensive yet. Tomorrow is my big learning day.

The apartment is absolutely breathtaking. This is probably the nicest place I have ever stayed. I have a huge room, tons of sunlight pouring it, and a private balcony. The apartment is all hardwood. I will post a few pictures when I have time.

Tonight is the Holland/Russia game, here in Basel! I'll be back in the city center tonight to watch from the screen. The Dutch have been here since yesterday afternoon, decked out in their orange gear. There is a giant 20m high hammering man artwork piece, with a moving hammering arm, and he was draped in orange for team spirit. The maintainance crew for the tram, who usually wear orange, actually had to change the color of their uniforms for the time being, because fans were running up to them, into danger!

Off to go explore now. Cannot tell you how much I miss you all. I am learning a little German, but I do get lonely when everyone around me is speaking it. 

2 comments:

Alex said...

Awesome.

Amanda Carmen Bower said...

Yayy!! You made it! And I'm so glad the apartment is nice! I definitely can't wait to see pictures. Also, I looked at the website for your design firm and it looks way cool - and like they speak English too? Have fun learning today/yesterday? What is the time difference?! Oy, I do miss you Lindsey Meyer.