Monday, June 23

the melting pot, my melting point

Before I forget, I must tell you that I needed to switch the time zone on my computer to receive the correct time on my desktop, and now, the computer knows I am in Switzerland, and Blogspot is coming up in all German! I didn't know it could do that. Computers may very well take over our world. As long as they are Apples...

Yesterday afternoon and evening were interesting. Went shopping in the afternoon, to stock up on some unpackable supplies and to explore the city. Basel was officially invaded by orange, that is, Dutch soccer fans. Orange jerseys, orange clogs, orange braids; a group of people even dyed a fountain orange and were jumping around in it! It was hilarious... all of them would constantly walk one direction, towards the stadium, then stop to camp and drink, and then pick up and keep walking. 


My roommates and I found a park by the central train station to chill, have a few drinks, and play cards. We met a fun group of Russians (I heard there were 10,000 Russians here, and 150,000 Dutch...) by our park hangout. They were drinking vodka and iced tea. I haven't heard of that one, but then again, I am no liquor expert.

Later, we met up with some of Roger's friends to go to a FanZone to watch the game. One area that we tried was literally one of the most packed places I have ever been. More intense than New Years at Times Square. There were probably about 8 of us, train-like, weaving through masses of screaming sweaty people. Unable to see the game, but unable to do anything about it. Went to the edge of the Rhein, to watch the game on the giant screen above the river. It was less crowded, but still completely orange-invaded. This night was not so fun for me. I was glad to have met some of Roger's friends, one of which will be taking his place when he goes to serve in the army in July, but I just didn't know how to fit in. I frequently forget how to just be myself, relax, and make new friends. I drank way too much, and felt absolutely ashamed and sick. This was not the impression I wanted to make. I found myself drinking, thinking that would be the avenue in which we would all connect. It wasn't. I just made a fool of myself. I have been praying with all my might today that God can "rewrite" this situation for the better. I am so thankful for them, taking care of me and all. They don't even know me. They really were more like Jesus than I was, and I was the one with the "intention." Hmm...

Today is Sunday. I have yet to find a church here. Roger says there is definitely nothing like Crossroads, and I can believe that. I am going to look for some sort of church community, but today I watched the second PRIDE sermon from Crossroads. So convicting. God just keeps tearing me down. I know this is good, that I need to struggle, but I don't know how much I can handle, especially being miles away from those that I love. I have to turn to you, God. And stay there.

Took a very long walk today, all around the city, trying to plan my route to work. The tram system here is amazing—efficient and clean and timely—but for the first few weeks I want to walk, for the exercise and to get acclamated. I don't want to miss any of this cultural action. Went to McDonalds to get an iced coffee, and they don't have it here! The only thing close is an espresso shot poured over ice cream. It's ok, but I would prefer an iced hazelnut :( And there are Starbucks here, but "forgettah boutit" because a tall latte is 8 Swiss Francs. Yea, I may come back from here less of an addict, who knows.

Watched the Italy/Spain game tonight on the TV at home; Spain won in penalty kicks, and will play Russia here in Basel for the semi-finals. I am an Italia fan, duh, but the Spanish had some great energy, and it was great for them because they have not beat the Italians since 1920! Needless to say, there is more action to come. 

Roger gave me some chocolates tonight to welcome me to Switzerland. That is when it hit me how much God really does answer prayers. He took a total chance on me, and is welcoming me with open arms. How Jesus-like is that. I pray God that you use me here, somehow.


1 comment:

chih-hua said...

oh man am i missing you.

i love you i love you I LOVE YOU!

i'm sorry about the iced coffee situation...you'll get creative :) ha!

i am so excited for you.