Wednesday, June 25

Bratwurst and Sauerkraut Prevail

Germany Wins! In the 90th minute! Katie and Laura and I went down to the Marktplatz to watch the game—so intense! And I had a crepe on the way home; perfect way to celebrate.


My boss at work today told me that Switzerland does not have enough police to hold an event like this, so there are police here from Germany and France as well. Weird, eh?

After a wonderful day at work, I was itching to get out and stroll the streets, amongst the Euro 2008 chaos. It was slightly cooler than it has been, and I love getting lost in the crowd, finding new places and being reassured by somewhat less new ones, stumbling upon new routes and quaintness. I was in the middle of a parade of Germans, when this man just came up to me and started playing a trombone he brought! And then I saw they had brought a whole band! What a wonderful thing for Basel; what spirit!


I made an omelette, first ever! Dad, you would be proud. It looked beautiful, and tasted even better. I may come back master cook, or at least an omelette master. I eat dinner with the roommates on the balcony every evening. Roger has always prepared something amazing. Tonight he had a delicious dish of bread, soaked in white wine, with summer sausage and special cheese melted ontop. Delish :)

Started learning some German with my roommates today. I can't spit right yet, aka I can't get the accent, but it is fun and laughs for all of us. We are going to work on it a little each day. I am so lucky to be with these wonderful people.

I would like to end by sharing a little something I found last night while rereading a passage in my journal:
And God I pray my hardest for a strong community. And to find a few Christians people, God, would be such a blessing. And if you have any church suggestions, please bring those to my attention. :)  (I drew a smiley-face).

No comments: