Thursday, June 25

Navs Headquarters


Began work on Monday, and dove right into my project! I will be designing the 2010 Short Term Summer Missions brochure for Navigators, and working on an overall identity and grid system design for the group, part of their "Reimagining" process. It has been awesome learning about the behind the scenes work that goes into mission work, and seeing all of the arms of the Navigators reaching out to the World. I've heard our team, USIMG (United States International Missions Group), described as the "home" team, and the overseas workers as the "away." I love to see how our work here can supplement others'!

I am excited for the Family Gathering, which will be July 10–16. This is an event where nearly 60 people from their stations around the world will come to relax and enjoy time in Colorado, while also work through hardships that they are facing there. I will be working with 3–6 year old, teaching a sort of Vacation Bible School program on the Armor of God. I am thrilled to be mingling with this age group, and very excited to do crafts with them! I am also interested to see if they relate more to American or their other culture, or see what languages come most easily to them.

The people here are extremely encouraging and inviting. My boss, Mark, took me to each cubicle on the first day, and introduced me to the entire team (United States International Missions Group). It seems like people genuinely care about each other here, and have time to listen and answer questions. One woman took a good 45 minutes of her morning to answer questions that I had concerning identity crises of missionary kids, or living in dangerous situations. She was willing to share some of her experience living in Bahrain during the wars. I really hope I can soak up all of their experiences, and see the mission world with open eyes.

I have been experiencing an acronym learning curve: USIMG (see above), PRT (People Resources Team), D4D (Discipleship for Development), NLT (National Leadership Team), EL (Eagle Lake), B2G (Better 2 Gether), MK (missionary kid), TCK (third culture kid) to name a few. And then of course, I am familiarizing myself with NIV, NLT, KJV, NAST... and The Message. Frequently, I think of that scene in RocketMan where Fred Randall is trying to blend by inserting acronyms that he knows into the preflight check... BMW, CNN, ATT...

Here is my cubicle. It is amazingly grey. Added some "spice" with photos and to-do lists, but is still in need of some help.


And this is around the corner, and a true joy to see everyday as I go to to the lunch room or to the bathroom. What is it? It's YOU! All of you that are going on Short Term Missions! I am thrilled to hear about all of the trips, and to be involved in this way. I can't wait to hear all of your stories, and see the ways God is developing you and the people you have been meeting. I think of you very often, and try to pray regularly for your safety and growth. AH! I am so excited for you, and what flavor this will bring to Navs in Cincinnati!

No comments: