Monday, June 29

Denver Dancing and Other Weekend Fun

So for the heck of it, I drove up to Denver with a fellow intern on Friday night to go to the Colorado Country Classic.

I really had no idea what to expect. I knew that there would be open dancing, I knew that I can't dance, but agreed blindly anyways. My friend Linda had met some of the dancers in a club in downtown Colorado Springs the previous weekend, and learned West Coast Swing, so I was excited to learn that, and then see what else came our way.

Stopped in Aurora to pick up another fellow intern, who was graciously letting us stay at her house for the night, and then headed to the competition. Reaching the hotel where the competition was being held, I was floored by 90s, Full House atmosphere that was being exuded; diamond studded everything, clothes that could have easily donned Tara Lipinski, stage makeup, two-tiered ponytails, dancing shoes, pre-competition massage stations... it was a total subculture. We sat down to watch the Pro-Am competition, a lot like Dancing with the Stars. We felt sort of stalker-like, because by the end we knew all the competitors' names, and had our favorites.

On Saturday, we went to a Cherry Blossom Festival at Sakura Square in downtown Denver. It was much smaller than we anticipated, and I couldn't find any homemade paper, so we made our way to the to Tattered Cover, a bookstore in LoDo (Lower Denver) that is eclectic, and has a pretty amazing selection. I have been recently introduced to McSweeney's, which is a literary magazine that has some killer package designs. I loved the homey, lodge-like atmosphere.


Before we left, went to a restaurant called Mad Greens, a salad place on the 16th Street Mall. With salads like the "Edgar Allen Poe" and "da Vinci" it was certainly quirky and delish. When coming back to the Springs, I headed to the baseball park to see the Colorado Springs SkySox play the Portland Beavers (farm league). It was Navs night, and I stood at the table with my roommate, Julie, telling people about NavPress and giving out free devotionals. It was freezing and raining, definitely not good baseball weather. There were two rain delays, and after awhile Julie and I got too cold and antsy to wait any longer... so we decided to get ice cream instead!

This morning, I tried Woodman Valley Chapel, a church just a few miles away from my apartment. One of the funniest moments of the service was when the British worship leader said, "You will probably never hear this from anyone else, but Happy 4th of July from England!" The message was really pertinent, speaking about change, and how we deal and persevere. Afterwards, the couple sitting next to me invited me out to brunch, so that was fun, getting to know new people and hear their viewpoints on the church.

So much more to say, since everything is new at this point, but too tired. Excited to share more as the days progress!

No comments: