Sunday, July 6

walks and talks

The past few days have been amazing. Time seems to be drifting away here in Basel, as I have been here 2.5 weeks already, but I am still trying to make each day count. Work has been exciting. I cannot go into much detail, for confidentiality reasons, but I have been working on logo design and application, and been given a lot of creative freedom, and Martin and Benno are so supportive and encouraging, so that is a real treat. I have been reading, taking quick naps in the Petersplatz park on lunch breaks, or strolling through the botanical garden. It feels like Cincinnati sometimes, because I see a great deal of cats, like over by the Law Building. The bakery I sometimes go to get a sandwich has begun to recognize me. I love the Bündner? sandwich with egg. She knows that I cannot speak Swiss-German, and smiles when I come in and just point at that same sandwich every time. She says, Egg? and I nod. And I pay, and that is it. An exchange of money, sandwich, and smiles. Benno and I have gotten to talking more lately. He is fun to work with. I have a feeling like he is a gold mine of stories... hopefully I will access the vault :)

Met with the woman from the Christian bead store on Friday after work. We went to a small, "secret" courtyard in the by work for drinks. I got a cold, less-sweet chocolate milk-like drink that was ok. And found a new love of Rivella, a Swiss drink that is sort of like the Mexican Manzana drink. She is a nurse at the hospital here on the edge of town. We talked about Switzerland, and my experiences here so far. She has such a kind and warm heart. She even invited me over to her place for dinner next week! What a blessing. 

That evening, Laura, me, Katie, and some of her friends from Novartis hung out at the flat and then went out to a club in Kleinbasel. I was excited to have a chance to wear my hot pink tights! The club was super-exclusive; I am not going to lie, I was intimidated by that. Not even thinking, a couple of us forgot to bring our IDs. But oddly enough, they wanted to see Passports. I would have never thought to bring that to a club, for fear I would lose it. So we didn't get in. As we were discussing what to do next, Laura and I decided to go back to the flat. On our way to the tram, we realized that they stopped running and would need to take a taxi. Laura began asking a man, Ali, about the train schedule, and after some conversation, he ended up inviting us to his brother's bar. It was literally one of the coolest experiences. Ali, a Turkish man, who has been here in Basel for 23 years, works at a pizzeria, and has been taking care of his sick father. Laura was awesome, and was translating conversation for me, so I could be a part. He was telling us of his faith. He was in a car accident, where the car was totaled, in flames, and he came out without a scratch. The police thought that he was lying! And he told us of the poor, and how no matter how little he has, he always gives to the poor, because he knows how difficult life can be, and what potential they have. He recalls giving money to a nine year old boy, and crazily, he was reunited with him, years later, and the boy-now-man recognized him, and brought him to his lush hotel room and to dinner, thanking him for his support so long ago. What a wealth of experiences and stories in this man! And what a caring person, to take us for drinks, to meet his family at the bar, to help us, perfect strangers, and then, to give us a ride home in his car so we would not have to pay for a taxi. He gave us his number, so that if we want to eat some pizza sometime where he works, we can. Unreal. 

Went to Germany today to go to the Vitra Design Museum. 


It is not far at all; you can take a bus from Basel to Weil am Rhein in 20 minutes or so. The museum/factory is in the middle of nowhere; just fields and hills and vineyards. There were chair sculptures everywhere, and a large sign that read, "Stadt der Stühle" or "City of the Chair." The buildings were designed by Zaha Hadid, Frank Gehry, and even geodesic dome by my buddy Buckminster Fuller. I was somewhat disappointed to see that the current exhibition at the museum was about the Arab culture and not something directly out of Sources, although I did learn a lot about the architecture and customs of their culture. As the museum shop employee put it, "Yes I know, the exhibition isn't the best. The Corbusier one that just left was spectacular. But it isn't our fault the Arabs sit on carpets!" I got a kick out of that. There is a George Nelson exhibit that opens on September 13, so I am eager to see that before I leave. Check out Peter Eisenmann... There is an architect card set. I wanted it! But it was very very expensive. Photos will have to suffice.

Took a walk tonight on the St. Alban-Tal, and the Rhein that was glorious. My eyes were acute, and I was picking up on all the beauties of my surroundings. Water beads ontop cars; splotchy watercolored sky; classical music pouring out of classical windows; old couples walking hand-in-hand, head-on-shoulder; nooks perfect for feeling like Basel was created just for you in that moment; candlelit boats, and exaggerated reflections by wine glasses; comfortable shadows and light pockets. I sat with a family who was singing Paul Simon songs on the riverbanks. I sang "Mrs. Robinson" with them. I know, how random. I cannot tell you how relaxing and cleansing it is to be here. I have no worries, I have been blessed.

I have solved my iced coffee problem. The instant coffee here is perfect, and dissolves in cold water. Add milk and a little sugar, and you have practically free iced coffee. Who knows, I may never have McDonalds or Starbucks again! And I may save some serious cash.

3 comments:

chih-hua said...

AH Linds! I cannot wait to talk with you! I'm so thankful you're doing well :)

I LOVE YOU!

Brooke said...

nescafe rules. i love and miss you. lets go to africa together... because i'm going back.

Alex said...

yes, buckminster fuller, yes.

I wonder if Peter Eisenman told the cards-maker that he would only allow his likeness to appear in a deck of cards if he was the King.

Everything sounds amazing!