Friday, July 11

The Pilgrimage and Other Tales

Wednesday was the day graphic designer dreams about before coming to Switzerland, the day I would visit the former HkG, the current SfG, or to all of us DAAPers, the birthplace of design that all the profs hail as Mecca: the Basel School of Design Switzerland.

The school is over in Kleinbasel, a somewhat long walk from work, but adrenaline (and a gelato) is good fuel for travel. I wasn't sure if I was at the right address, as there was a lot of construction and no one around, but I looked down at my map, looked up, and saw the famous gym designed by Hermann Baur, and the concrete reliefs by none other than Armin Hoffman. 


Concrete is an intimidating building material. Think about it; brick is a suburbian home with flowers growing in front; wood an old farmhouse with chipped paint; stucco a magical Hansel and Gretl cottage; and concrete, the looming Crosley Tower, Alcatraz and the like. I didn't hear any ghosts of design past, pleaing for their bail from line studies and plaka, but it was a very odd feeling being there, thinking I was trodding the same ground as Heinz and Robert. I hope to visit it again when school is in session, and to see the thesis exhibition. Here is the link to the site: www.sfgbasel.ch

Went to a club on Thursday night. I know what your thinking, who is this girl? A club? Yes, friends, it is true. And it is also true that I had a wonderful time. My roommate Katie and I met up with Rorik, Courtney, Sam and Kat, all who work at Novartis as interns. It was a great time, with some crazy dim chandeliers and some great house music. I am starting to like house music! Have you heard of Duffy? It is sort of Amy Winehouse-ish. I love the friends I have made here already. I can't wait for more fun times!

I am off to Eastern Switzerland and Liechtenstein this weekend, with the family I met last weekend. It is so crazy how things are working out. We are barbecueing tomorrow, which should be fun. I am excited to meet some new people, and see some new parts of Switzerland... and the MOUNTAINS finally. :)

Hope all is well for you, wherever you are at the moment.
Love.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I BEEN BEGGIN YOU FOR MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

I hope they played that Duffy song, and you shook your bum a little.