Monday, July 21

Oh Where Does The Time Go?

Can you believe it is July 21st already? I can't. I can't believe I have been here in the Land of the Swiss for almost a month. Time is flying, and I have been busy exploring; my apologies for not posting in awhile, and my apologies for tiring you with this ridiculously long post about the past two weekends, and all the days in between. Brace yourself...

Ok, to begin with last weekend (I have put the Mrs. Doubtfire soundtrack on repeat, so that I can concentrate on this post). Saturday morning I met up with the Hauser family to go to their business picnic, and then later on to Liechtenstein with their friends, with whom I have never met. I had met the Hausers at the paper mill the previous weekend, and they are a wonderful family with very big and caring hearts. 


The more I thought of it, preceding the venture, the more crazy it sounded, but I never really felt very wary, just at peace. The car ride was fun, and I learned alot about Swiss culture and history, and fun hole-in-the-wall places to go to in Basel. As we arrived at the picnic, I was still unsure what "the business" was, and what we'd be doing at the picnic, or where we even were, really. We stopped at a large log cabin-like structure, with surrounding fields and forest. During the week, the "cabin" is a lodge for the lumberjacks that work in the surrounding forests. We were one of the first groups there, but by the end of the day, there were probably about 50 or so people. We arrived to "Surfin' USA" being played on the stereo—how ironic in landlocked Switzerland. After about five minutes, I decided to get up the nerve to start up some conversation with two guys who looked about my age. It was comfortable for the first thirty seconds. And then they ran out of English that they knew. And it was a lot of awkward glances and silence. So I started to take a quick lap around the cabin, with thoughts of why did I do this?!? I am in the middle of nowhere Switzerland with people I met at a paper mill. No one here speaks English! I know no Swiss-German, and I don't even have a pen to do a little arm cheatsheet. What. Am. I. Doing. After about 20 minutes of doing a lot of smiling and "guten tag," I met Brigitte and Sepp Meier (CRAZY, right?), the couple that would be driving me the rest of the way to Liechtenstein, and would graciously let me stay at their house for the weekend. And then it was barbecue time. This is when I truly felt American. Everyone, literally everyone, pulled out a brat or a mett or a cervelat...and I had chicken. :) I have never gotten so many odd looks. Oh, and my chicken was frozen, because I picked it up from the COOP (grocery store, not chicken coop, sadly) on the way. Oh, and I had no utensils, no beverage, nothing. Just some frozen chicken, in which I had to defrost and clean with the hot water from the bathroom. After lunch, there was more socializing time. I met Günter, a 55 or so man from Liechtenstein. He spoke pretty good english, and was very jolly. And he would help translate for me what was being announced, like the different competitions. Listen to these: cherry pit spitting, rainboot tossing, hot water bottle horseshoes. All just random games, just for the heck of it (I made sure to ask if throwing rainboots as sport was a traditional Swiss game, and they assured me no, and to not let that rumor get around about Switzerland)! I actually got second place for the boot throwing competition, and got a homemade plaque, which was awesome. I found that tag is an international language, and I had a blast with the kids at the party. Running around, laughing, communicating with gestures. One girl came up to me and tried to explain the rules of a new game to me. I gave her my confused look, complete with extra eyebrow skin I'm sure, lol, and then another girl came running up to her. She explained to her that I couldn't understand. She then started signing to me, as if I was deaf. The kids thought I was deaf for awhile! I assured them that I was not, that I just didn't understand German. I think that was one of their first times seeing someone who did not understand the language. By the end of the party (it was about 6–7 hours), I had met and had conversations with seven or so people, and laughed with many more. I had energy drinks with Dominic, who had just been to Sandusky for a business conference (this mystery business of which I was still unsure), and had an Ohio Harley Davidson shirt on. We got a picture, and I wore a Swiss hat. I met Jenny, a world-traveler who had amazing English. She is moving to San Francisco in a few weeks, and happens to also live in Basel. I cannot tell you what an incentive this experience was to learn Swiss-German. In the beginning, I had literally never felt so alone and clueless... but I then felt so proud and confident that I did it, and learned so much about myself.

After the picnic, the Hausers went home, and I stayed with Sepp and Brigitte. Apparently, the Hausers just sort of sprung on my staying with them, and Sepp said he wanted to see me first, see if i met the guidelines (I don't know what that means), but apparently I did. They live about 45 minutes from the cabin, in Sargans, which is in the eastern part of Switzerland. I asked them to tell me a little about "the business" on the way. It seems as though it is a middle man internet business that connects product producers with the market. It is a lot of meeting people and making connections I think. Brigitte speaks perfect English, but Sepp speaks none. It was really cool, because Sepp would speak to me in German, and sometimes I was clueless, definitely, but sometimes I understood fully! I have no explanation. We arrived at their house, in the small town of a few thousand. Sargans is IN the Alps, literally. The day was rainy, so we didn't have a super clear view of them, but they were still magical to me :). When setting down my stuff inside, I saw "Gott" which I thought meant, "God" on a calendar, and then saw the Ten Commandments on something else. Christians! I then had no doubt that all of this "coincidence"was God, and that this weekend would continue to be filled with learning. Even in the rain, Brigitte wanted to take me out and show me the village. So we started on a walk of the city, beginning with the CASTLE! Parts of the castle were started being built in the B.C. times! And a lot of the paintings that survived were from medieval times! It was so awesome, because it was around sunset, with a little drizzle, and then I heard it... the Alphorns! 


We climbed up the stone steps, completely smooth from years and years of treading, and then saw two horn players playing in the courtyard, with the mountains in the background. Absolutely magical. I talked with them a bit, asked some dorky questions like, is it all one piece (it screws together like a pool cue) and what kind of wood is it made from (can't remember, already!). They played me some special tunes (it was REALLY raining at that point, so I was definitely the only one around, engrossed enough to listen to a few songs in the rain). The view was spectacular. Cameras cannot capture mountains. Or lit up castles in the distance. You could see Liectenstein and Austria from there! Amazing. We walked through the old part of town, and saw some cute mom-and-pop places, like a piano store and the like. She said that at Christmas, the roads in the old city are transformed, and there is a special crafts fair where all the villagers set up tables and sell what they have made all year round. 

During our walk, I was able to talk to Brigitte more about her faith and Christianity. She had grown up Catholic, but her and Sepp were introduced to the Living God through the business! I heard stories of tests of faith, legit and inexplicable miracles, and just saw a whole new side of God, again! I seem to be encountering so many new facets of God here in this country. And it still boggles my mind that God is so universal. That I can know these people for a matter of hours, but gain God through them, and see all he has done worldwide. I also found out that Andi and Antonella (the Hausers) are also believers. And even more crazy... apparently only 1% of Switzerland is Christian. How do I meet these people?

We came back to the house, and had dinner at a neighborhood party, meaning more struggles with conversation, but a lot of great stories, and good food. I had my first taste of Cervelat, which is a Swiss wurst, and the one I had, had cheese inside as well. I love it. I have never really cared for bratwurst in the states, but this wurst was FABULOUS. I even bought some on Monday to cook myself (which I did, and I am proud to say came out well and tasted delish). And there was Rivella, which is always a great addition to a Swiss meal. The host found out I liked it so much, that she gave me the rest of the bottle to take home with me, lol. By that point, my mind was mush, pounded with a meat tenderizer, and shutting down from just a lot of emotional highs, ups-and-downs, and mental language strain. I went to take a shower, and I came to my bed for the night, and the couch was all made, the Rivella and a glass sitting out for if I wanted some in the middle of the night, my muddy jeans in the washer to be ready for the next day, and a Swiss bracelet and a note on my pillow, saying "You are very welcome with our family. Sepp and Brigitte." I cannot tell you what a wonderful feeling that was, as I felt like I was imposing 95% of the day, no matter what anyone said to me, and, hello, what odd circumstances to begin with!

On Sunday, I went to church with Sepp and Brigitte in Buchs, a town about 20 minutes away on the Autobahn. The church is Baptist, and contemporary. As we arrived, I started recognizing faces, faces from the business picnic! These people were Christians too! They greeted me with Guten tags and smiles, and I couldn't help but be tickled with the fact that I recognized anyone. We sang songs in the beginning, all in German, and I recognized How Great Thou Art, which was awesome to alternate between English and German. I am sure I drove the people I sat next to crazy, but whatever. During the sermon, Brigitte and I went upstairs, and she introduced me to Franz, who translated the entire service, just for me. We put on our separate headsets, and he helped me to learn about rebellion, the sermon for the day, which is very applicable in my life right now, as I have recently been given a great deal of freedom. It is amazing how much I have had to rely on God and others while I am here, something not so easy for me to do. I am learning that I cannot do life by myself, that I need others, and THAT'S OK. Nothing to be embarrassed about. After church, I thanked Franz for translating for me, and I think we talked for a good 45 minutes. Everyone was gone from the church at that point. He was telling me that he designs rollercoasters for Cedar Point, from his company here in Switzerland! We pretty much exchanged life stories, and he helped me find the locations of some of the Sigg Family lineage on my map. How completely awesome. 

We had lunch at Sepp and Brigitte's, more delicious wurst, with salad and spaghetti. We got into talking about business, and games that encourage strategy. Taking a stab in the dark, I brought up Settlers of Catan. Brigitte's eyes lit up, and she pulled out this...


Die Siedler von Kanaan—The Settlers of Canaan! How crazy! She has not played it yet, just saw the game in a store and thought it would be fun. If/when I return to Sargans, we are playing! After lunch, we drove out to Heidiland, and to the mountains. I haven't seen Heidi since one Friday evening at Lori's house in the 2nd grade or so, so nothing was very fresh in my mind, but I did remember the general plot. We saw the Heidi fountain, 


and toured the house from Heidi, and saw goats and chickens and cows with cowbells grazing the fields. And lots and lots and LOTS of Japanese tourists. Big, giant tourbusses of Japanese tourists flooded the winding streets. There was one man who was filming and taking a photo at the same time, of the mountains, which was comical.


Then went to Bad Ragaz, which is a ritzy resort area, especially popular for golfers and athletes getting medical attention and rehab after surgery. There was a golf course in which you had to pay 120,000CHF to be a member, and then 20,000CHF in yearly membership fees. There was no on at this course. Down the road, there was another course, in which you paid 5,000CHF to be a member...lots of people there.

Liectenstein was pretty much a Switzerland extension. We saw the Prince's castle, and walked through the streets, but to be honest, it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. Everyone all weekend kept asking me, "Why do you want to go to Liectenstein?" and I was thinking it would be this city posing as a country which escaped all aspects of time, and would just BE the middle ages. It wasn't. There was the most modern sculpture in a city I have ever seen. So we went back to Buchs, to roam the old city streets.

After the Meiers had literally driven me all around eastern Switzerland, swapping stories and learning each other's languages, I boarded a train back to Basel. What an amazing experience of a weekend. They invited me back whenever, that their house was open to me. I couldn't believe it. I hope to return to see Heidi the musical performed ON the lake here, which is in late August I believe.

Hmm. It has been a good hour and a half, and I have gotten through two days. Will attempt to write more tomorrow. Love.

1 comment:

hi, i'm jen. said...

lindsey--

thanks for taking the time to write all that down! i feel inspired and blessed just reading about all that's been going on, about all the God-things that have been happening to you and all that is being provided for you, it's so incredible! as we used to say during my childhood vbs summers, "God is good, all the time!" (=

love,
snoops