Saturday, August 16

...And All That Jazz

This week was one of the fastest, by far. The beginning of the week was rainy, pouring for two straight days. My balcony was flooded with four inches of water, with no drainage, and it still hasn't evaporated. How long does that take, anyways, to evaporate that much? I guess we'll see, or if bugs start coming, I might just take a mug and scoop it all out and throw it into the garden below.

My parents came back from Paris on Wednesday, and we took a long walk around the city, and rode the small ferry that crosses the river. These boats are so cute! They run with a pulley and the current. It is really only 5 minutes on a tiny boat, but they're fun, so I was glad to do this. Ate at Zum Schnafel, which I pass everyday going to work. It was Swiss-authentic...home-y, wood coming at you from all angles, and leaded glass "bar chandeliers." I had some veal with Rosti, best compared to hashbrowns. I love Swiss cooking! 

After Mom and Dad's departure, I decided to venture to Münchenstein, a small town in Basel-land, on Thursday. I went to the Schaulager, a building designed by Herzog and de Meuron (they are a small architecture army that has officially taken over the edificial world). 
They had a great exhibit with work by Andrea Zittel (Brooklyn) and Monika Sosnowska (Poland). The space is huge, and worked well with the large and abstract works of these women. I got to know Lynn, a security guard who works there, who was absolutely awesome. I was going into one of the Sosnowska pieces, that was actually an endless hallway that ended up going straight into the ceiling. She asked me if I could see the "end," but I thought she asked me if I could see the "hand." I went back in there for a good 10 minutes, and came out with my confused face. She was just laughing, and then I realized the misunderstanding. I think I ended up talking with her for 20 minutes, laughing about life mostly. One of the best parts was that the Katharina Fritsch "Rat King" is permanantly installed here. I learned about this in 8th grade during my research project! How awesome to see this giant (12 foot tall) piece, especially after so many years.

I had read before I went that the old Haas Type Foundry was in Münchenstein as well, aka the Birthplace of Helvetica. I remembered that I just needed to take one road and then turn left onto Gutenbergstrasse and it would be on my right. I failed to look at the distance of the walk, which I believe was actually a little over a mile away. About 10 minutes into my walk and after being passed by a five year old on a scooter, I asked an old man if Gutenbergstrasse was ahead. He spoke no English, but talked to me loudly in German, as if that would make me magically understand. I did get, though, that I needed to turn left and some point...which I already knew. He kept saying tram, but I couldn't figure out if he wanted me to take it or follow it. I said "danke," we parted, and I walked for another 10 minutes or so when I heard a yelling from the other side of the street. The old man was following me, making sure I made the turn at the right time! How sweet! I thought often WHY didn't I take the tram, especially as it was darkening, and I was passing many stops. Arrived at the old foundry and saw that it had become a kindergarten. 

I think I imagined that Max would just come out and give me a tour of the place... which doesn't even exist anymore... or at least find a job stick or a lost metal letter on the ground or something. But no. Just a lame-o kindergarten. I was a true stalker and took some pictures and looked in some windows. But I was just glad to see it. 

As I was walking away, I was attacked by a weiner dog, and his old man owner started laughing and speaking to me in German. After he realized I was American, we got to talking. He was born in France, works at Novartis, and had consistently traveled in Russia and Poland for work for 25 years. This man has quite the language talent! And he had been living in Münchenstein long enough to know people from the foundry! HOW COOL! He talked about the day that they moved out. AH! And then... he wanted to tell me a thing or two about American Politics. This was completely uncomfortable, but sincerely interesting to hear. All I could say (since he was clearly well-informed and I agreed with a lot that he had to say concerning Bushism) was "I hope you do not lump together the American people with American politics." He really wasn't concerned with what I had to say; he probably just wanted someone to talk to, and how often do you have an American roaming your streets in small town Münchenstein, anyways? But it was a great experience. I have been learning alot here about the European viewpoints of America. But that is for another day...

Friday night was the 25th Annual "Em Bebbi sy Jazz," which roughly translates as the "Basel-people's Jazz Festival," I think. The city was transformed! It hasn't been this crowded since the EuroCup. Small stages peppered the city, and there was food like you wouldn't believe. We have been having a cold spell, so I was at the festival in a t-shirt, sweater, and scarf, with jeans. It was so beautiful, seeing the nooks and crannies of the city, usually empty during the day, packed to the brim at night, lit up oh-so-romantically, and jazz music flowing from courtyard to courtyard. It was very dreamlike. I could have lived in those hours forever. There were all types of jazz, from quiet Miles Davis, to Duke, to trumpets gone wild, to Lawrence Welk, with dancing! There was one group called Ed Elastic that Laura and I saw that were phenomenal. So much energy and improv talent... they even had fireworks! 

Today, I was very lazy, capitalizing on the warm sunshine and comfort of no alarm clock. Yep, got out of bed at noon and loved it. Journeyed into the city after a delish omelette, and took some shots with my SLR. Check out this cute one!

Did a little looking and a little shopping, and sat by the river and watched the sun go down as I journaled. And good news! The hostel in Rome has my lost journal! It has been lost for two weeks now, and I sent them many emails, and the train station many emails, and got no response. Decided to break down and call the hostel... and they had it! Hopefully they will be mailing it soon.

Tired now. Tschüss.

No comments: